Friday, July 23, 2010

Una Fiesta!

I had a wonderful 24th birthday yesterday! We started the day off by renting a tandem bike from the school's Outdoor Recreation Center.  It was only $9! And at the ORC I discovered they sell Clif Shot Blocs which I love so I bought a few of those for my long runs. 
We started off our bike ride by riding around a couple of the parks.  We stopped and got a $5 Little Ceasar's Hot and Ready pizza and some frozen yogurt from Twizzle Berry.  Then we stopped at a park and had lunch. 
Porter Park
FroYo and pizza at Smith Park

The park was the same park that was the start of my very first half marathon in 2007. So after lunch we decided to go and bike the half marathon course. I don't remember how many up and down rolling hills there were in that race. I was glad that there were two of us pedaling up those hills together. Like I said, we started at a park, biked through a little neighborhood and then we worked those hills biking along a bunch of potatoe fields and we ended up biking through another neighborhood and back to the school to return the bike.
Thomas and the fields that go on forever.

I love biking! It's so relaxing, but at the same time great exercise. We loved going on long bike rides in Sunriver, OR and this was another great bike ride.
After the bike ride we went home and made some homemade salsa for my birthday dinner.  My brother in law Ivan made delicious carne asada.  He really knows how to make it perfect.  Thomas and I now know what kind of meet to buy but beyond that we are clueless.  The lady at the bakery informed us we didn't need to buy the actuall steak we could just buy roasts and then she sliced the super thin for us.  So that way it was cheaper but still just as tasty.  With the carne asada we had corn tortillas, rice, beans, chips, and salsa.  So delicious.  Seriously my favorite meal in the world.  That would for sure be my last supper. 
Then for dessert of course we had birthday cake and ice cream.  And my wish finally came true! I got a Dora the Explorer birthday cake thanks to my sweet hubby.

I surprised myself and got them all out in one breath.
This year the box of candles we bought had just enough, twenty four.  Next year we'll have to buy two boxes! I guess that's a sign of getting old, having to buy two boxes of candles for your birthday cake.
We had the dinner at Briana and Ivan's.  One of my college roommates Tiffany is in town for awhile from New York so I got to see her and her cute little kids.  Emma her baby is just a little doll.  So sweet and quiet.  And Austin was so fun to watch interacting with Alex.  They are both learning to share. 
Little Austin used the cooler as his special seat. What a buff little guy, opening up that lid.

Ivan and Thomas be grillin.

Bea and baby Emma relaxin.

Tiffany and Rachel basking in the sun and chatting it up.

Enjoying the grub.  (Don't you love it when people take pictures of you when you are eating?)
 It was perfect weather outside for relaxing and eating and spending time with friends.  Once it started getting a little chilly we headed inside to open presents.  My hubby spoils me, and I love it.  I love what he gets me though cause it's so thoughtful.  He'll remember me saying that I like something from like months ago. For example I was smelling some perfume at Maurices and I really liked it and so he got me it.  Or he'll hear me saying while I'm getting ready that I've lost one of every pair of earings that I have.  So he'll get me new earings. He also got me a new pair of black heels and a new arm band for my i-pod that has little pockets, and a gift certificate for a pedicure.  That guy is so good!

Alex was very interested in the presents.  I can't wait for him to turn one so he can have his turn at opening them.

Alex things his Tio is so funny.

Caught in the act.  This little guys is attracted to all things electronic.
 And the best part of my birthday was Thomas got a call for a job interview! He has been so persistent in his job search.  Handed out tons of resumes, followed up with phone calls and visits to the HR offices.  And finally it payed off! He has his interview on Monday.  It's not for an x-ray tech but for the next best thing.  It is for a transport tech for the x-ray department.  So that way he can get his foot in the door.  It is really tough finding jobs around here.  You really have to know somebody it seems in order to get an interview. 
I had a wonderful party and a great day. 


4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I love the tandem bike idea. We have been biking and we keep saying we should try a tandem bike. Loved the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday!! It looks like you guys had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! Looks like you had a fabulous day! And you got your Dora cake!

    ReplyDelete