Sunday, July 11, 2010

Running up high

This week I started full on half marathon training.  The long run was difficult I haven't had a run longer than five miles since the half marathon two weeks ago.  It's crazy how fast I can get out of feeling comfortable running long runs. 
I like to think it's because of the elevation change.  My hometown's elevation is about 1,000 feet and here in Idaho it's about 4,800 feet.  But in Sunriver, OR where I ran the last half marathon it was 4,500 feet and it didn't seem to effect me. 

So here are this weeks runs:
Tuesday: 3 miles (1 mile uphill) @ 9:34 pace
Wednesday: 2x2miles at half marathon pace with 1/2 mile rest in between, 4x100 strides
Thursday: 4 miles (1 mile uphill) + 4x100 strides @ 10:15 pace
Friday: 8 mile long run @ 9:52 pace

The hills are killing me! But I enjoy the challenge.  It's always my goal to get up the mile long hill without walking, it's good mental practice.  Does hill running ever get easier?
Thomas ran part of the long run with me, that saved me and kept me going.  He came up with the great idea that for my next one he'll just ride the bike along side me.  I told him he's going to feel like he's going super slow but he doesn't seem to mind.  Love that guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment