Friday, July 16, 2010

Mock 5K

Today's workout was posted as a 5K run.  I didn't even try looking for a 5K race on a Thursday.  So the inital plan was to start out 2-3 minutes before hubby Thomas and then see if he could catch me.  I thought that would be a good motivator to go fast. 
Well this morning/afternoon I really wasn't feeling like running.  So I feel like I cheated a bit and I ran on the treadmill.  That way I could put in the pace I wanted to go and I would be forced to keep going that pace or risk falling off the treadmill.  I started out at a 7:53 pace with a 1.0 incline and made it to 1.5 miles at that pace.  Then I slowed the pace to an 8:06/mile pace for a mile with a .5 incline.  Then at 2.5 miles I picked the pace up by seven seconds each minute.  I ended the last .1 at about a 6:40 pace or so. So I ended up averaging about an 8:00/mile. 
3.1 miles/ 24:38
It was hard and I totally wanted to give up at two miles but I knew that I'd kick myself afterwards if I did.  So instead of slowing down (cause I knew that would just make me want to stop even more and take me longer to finish)  I decided to crank the speed up every minute and just focus on getting through that minute.  Oh the mind games of running!
Oh and thanks to Tammy at 29 and Holding, Thomas and I got to the gym last night and did a spinning class! I loved it.  I haven't been to one in years.  Half way through the workout Thomas looked at me and said under his breath "this sucks!".  But afterwards he said he liked it and he said he'll do it again with me. 
We also found an awesome little video for ab moves on the stability ball that we did today and yesterday after our workouts.  Try it out.

1 comment:

  1. Way to get moving at the gym. I took my hubs to a spin class and loved it that day, but hated how sore he was in a certain area the next day!

    ReplyDelete