Saturday, August 21, 2010

One week till race day!

Yay! I'm in taper mode.  Always the week with the most mileage during training I tell Thomas "this is my last half marathon for awhile, I need a break."  And of course a day or so after the half marathon I sign up for another one.  It's addicting.  But after this half I really am looking forward to switching it up for awhile and doing different classes at the gym and do some Jillian. 
This weeks training included:
Monday: 2x1200 CI (600), 4x400 SI (200), 4x200 SI (100)
Total= 4.5 miles
Tuesday: Jillian Yoga Meltdown
Wednesday: 4 miles PI (800), 1x800 CI (400), 2 miles PI
Total= 7.25 miles
Thursday: Rest
Friday: 6 miles easy
Saturday: 6 miles race pace
Weekly Mileage: 23.75

Friday's run felt so slow and difficult.  So today's run I thought maybe I'd just do four miles because it was an early morning and I thought I'd be super tired.  But to my surprise I got on the treadmill and my legs felt great.  So I started at about an 9:40 pace and every mile kicked it up a notch.  By the end I was going at a 6:30 pace for a half mile.  I had Thomas get on the treadmill next to me and run with me for the last mile.  Love that guy. 
The reason it was such an early morning was because we volunteered for a local triathalon.  I actually volunteered and signed my mom and Thomas up too. We were cheerleaders and traffic control.  We got some bright orange cotton t-shirts that say nothing on the front and say "Event Volunteer" on the back.  Pretty hideous.  I loved the spot where I was on the course cause it was part way up a killer hill.  I know how much I hate hills so I tried to be super encouraging.  I loved the athletes comments as they'd go up the hill "I hate this hill!"  "Can I trade you spots"  "Can you give me a push".  Some of my encouragement included "looking strong"  "just keep your legs moving"  "it's a beast, but get er' done"  "smile at the top"  (there was a photographer at the top of the hill).  I can't believe some of the young kids doing the race.  I was at the bike portion of the race and some of these kids had these pro looking biking suits on.  The most tender moment for me was seeing a Dad and his little girl riding together.  She was probably ten years old.  Up the hill the dad was telling her how great she was doing.  When she got to my point at about half way up she stopped and had to re-adjust her feet on the pedals.  Her Dad looked at me and said "isn't she doing great?!" Every single adult that I saw stop on the hill had to walk their bike the rest of the way up cause they had lost their momentum.  But the dad just kept telling her "come on! You can do it!"  and he just circled around with his bike, while she tried to get started.  The little girl said "I know Dad.  I can do it."  And she got her feet back in the pedals and made it to the top of the hill! I was totally amazed.  It was seriously one of the most inspiring motivating things I've seen.  That is something that the little girl is going to remember for her whole life.  First, of all she accomplished an amazing thing at such a young age.  I still have yet to do a sprint triathalon.  Second, she's always going to remember her dad encouraging her. I really want running to be a family thing for us.  And hopefully someday, triathalons.  Thomas said he'd rather do a triathalon than a half marathon. 
Me, Thomas, and my Momma in our bright orange volunteer shirts.

1 comment:

  1. That is so sweet about the father and daughter. I really want running/triathlons to be a family thing for us too. Just for Jesse and I, it has brought us a lot closer!

    ReplyDelete