Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Years Eve

Thomas and I had a wonderful, memorable New Years Eve.  He worked in Idaho Falls until 7pm so I drove the 35 minutes there around 6pm and picked up movie tickets and ordered us some dinner at Cafe Rio and he met me at the restaurant.  I have been trying to eat more veggies these last couple weeks but let me tell you it is tearing up my insides! My stomach/intestines are just not used to that amount.  So instead of splitting a salad with Thomas I went for a burrito. 
The movie theater is right across the parking lot from Cafe Rio so we headed right over after eating.  Thomas had gotten some free movie tickets for his work Christmas gift so we used those.  I can't believe how expensive movies are! $10 a pop that's $20 for two of us, with that we could just buy a movie! We saw the new Chronicles of Narnia movie and we both really liked it.  I was nervous that I wouldn't know what was going on because I don't really remember the first two movies but you really don't even have to see the first two. I loved the messages that movie presents.  My favorite part is when the little girl Lucy uses a magic spell to make her self be more beautiful like her older sister.  Aslan (who represents Christ) comes to her and talks to her about understanding her value and her worth in this life.  He tells her that she doesn't understand her value.  This struck me, I think most of us don't understand our true value and it's only through Christ who know perfectly our potential and value that we can come to understand what our worth is in this life. I really loved this movie and it kind of made me want to read the books.
After the movie we went and changed in a restaurant bathroom to prepare for our 5K.  We were layered up because it was a frigid 4 degrees outside! I was wearing to my knees snowboarding socks, under armor pants, long johns, and yoga pants on bottom.  On top I had under armor, a long sleeved shirt, a running jacket, and a sweatshirt.  I also had on an ear headband warmer, a beanie, and a mouth/nose cover.  The mouth/nose cover saved me! While we were snowboarding on Thursday we realized we needed some so I got one for each of us at Big 5. 
It was a unique race that was pretty small (about 30 people ran it). They gave everybody glowsticks to wear while running.  You started the race between 11pm and 12am so that you could finish about midnight.  It was a little strange just starting whenever you wanted.  You just told the race director when you were starting and he wrote down your starting time and then when you finished they wrote down your finish time.  No official time.  We started around 11:21 and finished at 11:45. 

 I was surprised at our finish time considering neither of us have really trained and it was freezing and late.  I was really happy with how we did.  We had a really fun time running together and it made for a memorable and healthy New Years Eve. At midnight we blew our little horns and popped our poppers and of course had a New Years kiss :)




They had hot cocoa and hot cider at the finish line.  I was really just craving water but Thomas had a cup of each to warm up.

The goody bag included a long sleeve shirt, hand warmers (which we saved for when we go snowboarding), a free loaf of bread from Great Harvest (YUM!), a great job sticker, a box of rasins, some shave lotion, and chapstick.   

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great movie!!

    What an interesting race to run! 4* and you start whenever? Pretty awesome. You guys had a great run, and I really like the pictures. The finish while holding hands is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a race on New Years Eve..Yes to the water...but Heck Yes to the Cocoa!!!
    Shawn

    ReplyDelete