Sunday, November 14, 2010

Mean People

I can't stand rude, disrespectful, mean people.  I've just gotten to the point in my life where I can't put up with them. I hate it when people think they can intimidate others because they are higher in status (according to them) or for whatever reason.  Here is the story:
On Saturday I took my Praxis exam, which is the exam you have to teach in order to be a teacher.  The exam is proctored.  I got there around 7:20am and waited till they let us in the room around 8am.  As you go in the room you show them your entrance ticket and ID.  Then I get in the room and this old man is standing there yelling at students "Test Code! Test Code! Test Code!" Well I knew what he was talking about and told him the test code number and then he directed me to "Seat two."  Well hello the seats aren't numbered and there are about 10 rows with seat two's.  I sit there for a minute and see him intimidate a bunch of students who are already intimidated enough about having to take this huge test.  He's just yelling away "Test Code! Test Code!"  Obviously if they are hesitating they can't find the test code and by him screaming at them it's not going to help. So finally I say "You need to be kind!" He looks at me and says "This is a highly secure test site."  I told him "Well ya, but you can still be kind." He looked kind of shocked and just said "I can be kind."  And I'm like "Yes! You can!"  Well then as he is leading us through the bubble sheet to fill out with our personal information there is a spot that asks you to fill in the test form number.  One male student asked where exactly that could be found on our test and the proctors response was "On the paper".  Really?!? So as the test goes on I cool down a bit and decide to just let it go.  But then I get done a little early and really have to go to the bathroom.  You are allowed to go, you just hand your test to the proctor and go and come back.  Well I hand mine to the woman proctor but the old guy comes up when he sees me and says "You can wait."  OOOOOOOH! It was on after that.  They were letting people go left and right before me but I think he just was discriminating against me cause I called him out.  So after the test in my sweetest voice I said to him "Could I get your name please?" He told me no and if I had a problem I could talk to his supervisor.  I explained to him that I would need his name in order to talk to his supervisor.  He was just like "He knows who I am."  I told him I would be sure to do that and then just let him know how extremely rude and disrespectful he was to students who were already intimidated and nervous about this test.  His whole excuse was that it was a highly secure test.  So! You can still be nice! Then to make it worse as I'm leaving this goody two shoes girl comes up and tells him "I thought you were nice". Wow! Really? Cause she came in at the very last and didn't see what he put other students through.  When she said that he was like a little school boy "See! See! She liked me!" Well I went out into the hall to go find his supervisor and a guy came up to me and thanked me for sticking up for everybody.  We both went and talked to the supervisor who was very nice and understanding to let him know what happened.  Then of course a bunch of other people made comments to me about how rude this man was.  And to top it off I had to take a second test that day and lucky me, he was the proctor again. 
I just do not put up with rudeness.  I must be getting old and tired.  If I am ever rude you can call me out on it. I hope to have a good enough consious to realize it and feel bad and change. And it's not as if I enjoy calling people out, but I feel like if nobody says anything then they will assume their behavior is okay and continue. 
This does make me appreciate kind, respectuful people more.  Last night we went to see "Life as We Know It".  Thomas' boss gave him two free movie tickets because she was so grateful to him for working the night shift at the hospital all by himself last weekend.  So we used those and then went to Chuck-a-Rama for dinner.  Neither of us had ever been and we thought we'd give it a try.  I was so impressed with the service there and how kind everybody was.  We really did like the place. Lot's of good food and I loved that they had a hot chocolate machine and a slurpee machine! I needed that night out so bad.  I could just feel myself relaxing as we drove away from Rexburg and throughout the whole night. 
I desperately need Thanksgiving break!! Which brings me to what I am grateful for, Saturday's edition:
#1 I am grateful that I am done with my Praxis exams. (As long as I passed! Pray for me!! I'll find out my results in four weeks.)
#2 I'm grateful for a date night with Thomas.  I love romantic comedies!
#3 I'm grateful that we could plan a fun Sunday School lesson for today.  I decided to use a bunch of techniqes that I've learned in my elementary ed. classes.  Instead or asking people what their favorite old testament story is and having them raise their hands we are going to have them write it on a piece of paper and throw it to the front of the class like snowballs.  We are going to start off the class by playing name that tune. Two people predict how many notes it will take them to name the hymn and whoever predicts the least gets to attempt to name it.  All the hymns have to do with our lesson topic which is the gathering of Israel and having God's law written in our hearts. 
We are trying these things because it is such a big class and a lot of times the same people participate and others just sit back and are bored so we need to switch things around a bit.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you Linds! I'm glad that you stood up for people like me who wish they had the cojones to do it! I'm so excited for Thanksgiving break too! Just one more week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Lindsey! I cannot stand mean people either and I'm so glad I'm not the only one in the world that would stand up to a meanie. Sometimes I feel that way, too. And it's so nice to see others who comment and are there with you to tell the supervisor what a jerkface he is. For the record, you've never done anything mean to me. In fact, everyone I've ever talked to say you're the sweetest person ever! :) And I'll definately pray for your test! You'll be just an amazing teacher!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go you for calling out that guy! I HATE when people are rude too, and I have a tendency to not bite my tongue, so it may just make matters worse. Where do these people get off, thinking they can treat people like that?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. im an ed major too and those tests are nerve wracking enough already- way to stand up to that guy- i just try and remember that theyre clearly not as happy and accepting as you and to just pray for them...love your blog!

    ReplyDelete