Saturday, May 22, 2010

Sickness

Friday night I went to take Thomas dinner at work.  Parmesan and Basil Pasta and Lemon Pepper Tilapia.  While we were in the break room a co-worker asks him what I had made and he says "Some spaghetti stuff and fish."  Haha doesn't that sound appetizing?  I told him later he made it sound gross and apparently he went back and corrected himself.  What a good guy.
Anyways... so while I'm there, I start feeling a little queasy.  I got home and was in the bathroom every ten minutes for a couple hours.  I'll spare you the details. 
Went to bed around 11pm and was up going to the bathroom every couple hours.  Luckily I was able to sleep in.  But I was totally bummed that I was feeling so bad cause I had a ten miler planned.
Thomas went and got me medicine, Powerade, and Diet Coke and Mentos (that combo supposedly settles your stomach).  So around 3pm I was feeling better and convinced Thomas to go run with me.  We went out to my parents house and did a 10 mile loop.
Thomas made it 8 miles! The longest he has ever run.  And he says that is his limit.  We were both hurting afterwards. 
Here is a play by play of the run:
Mile 1- Had a sideache considered turning around and getting myself out of it before it was too late. My water bottle fanny pack was bouncing around so Thomas like the gentleman he is carried it for me.
Mile 2-3 Still dealin with the sideache.  Apparently I didn't learn my lesson from the Wenatchee half marathon where I drank coke before hand.  I needed a reminder that carbonated beverages give me major sideaches.
Mile 5-7 Finally the sideache went away and I was feeling fresh. Ate three Powerbar Gel Blast energy chews at mile 5 and had some water. They are yummy! Made my mouth a little dry afterwards though. You can go to Powerbar's website and sign up to get a free sample pack if you want to try them out.  They taste like those shark gummies.


Mile 7-7.5 was uphill. I made almost made it to the top and then wimped out and walked for about 50 meters.
Mile7.5-10 Did a few laps around the highschool track to make it to 9.5 and then ran the last half mile back to the rent's house.
10miles in 1:39:45 so pretty much right on the 10:00 per mile pace. 
I am training at a 10:00 mile pace cause I've read that your long runs should be a minute slower than race pace.  It worries me a bit cause I'm afraid then I'll be used to running that pace.  But I have found that my tempo runs are feeling really good at race pace.
Have felt like crap ever since the run. Although I'm very glad I went out and got er done. Don't feel like eating but know it's important in order to recover faster and so that I don't feel like crap.  What do you do to recover after runs? And how long do you wait to eat?

1 comment:

  1. Good job on your run! Especially since you were sick before!!

    ReplyDelete