Sunday, September 4, 2016

Ragnar Wasatch Back 2016

During some of our runs Felicia had told me about her experience running Ragnar's, a team relay completed over a couple of days and running about 200 miles total. This was something I had on my bucket list.  Luckily, Felicia had a friend whose company sponsors its employees to run and they needed some more teammates. Even though it was six days after our marathon we couldn't pass up the chance.








We were in van 1 which meant our runners ran first.  It was another early morning wakeup of about 3:30am to get to Logan where the race started.  I had no idea how beautiful that part of Utah was.  It's a valley that during that part of the year was so green.









Felicia was runner 1 and I was runner 2 so she got to pass off to me. My first leg was 8.63 miles and pretty flat.  It was about 7:30am when I ran so not too hot out yet.  I finished in 1:10:14 with an 8:09 pace. After each runner finishes their leg, if there's time, they can stretch for a bit at the exchange before hopping in the van to the next exchange.


Once all of the six runners in our van complete our legs we pass off to the next van.  We were able to rest at a Sun Valley ski resort where we ate lunch and took naps out on the lawn with hundreds of other runners.

My second leg was at 7pm and it was HOT! This was my hardest leg even though it was only 4.29 miles.  There was some little hills that just hurt. Ended up with a 35:47 finish time and an 8:21 pace.

After our van finished our second legs we headed to a local high school where we set out sleeping bags and slept.  So funny to just be sleeping out on a high school's lawn.  We were so tired though that it was no problem falling asleep.  Our only problems was that when Felicia's alarm went off so she could get ready to get the baton bracelet from the other van's runner, we couldn't find our teammates who had the key to the van.  In order to run in the dark you have to have a reflective vest and head lamp.  Luckily we tracked them down in the nick of time, but that was a bit stressful. I was walking all around the lawn peaking in sleeping bags to try and see if I could see one of our teammates.

My last run I was anxious about because I was so tired.  Ironically it ended up being my best run.  I think the cool morning helped.  It was 4.88 miles and I chose to run without music and just enjoy the sun rise and the camaraderie of the runners along the path with me. I finished in 38:54 with a 7:59 pace.

Once our van finished our third legs we were able to go to a teammates family cabin near the finish line in Soldier Hollow.  We were able to shower and nap before heading to the finish line and run through with the rest of our teammates.





Such a fun experience that I will happily repeat again.


No comments:

Post a Comment