Sunday, February 26, 2012

Goodbye second trimester

In the second trimester really my only complaints have been with acid refulx and my mid back hurts when I sit for longer than ten minutes or so.  I've found that 2 out of 3 times when I take tums to help with the acid it just makes me throw up.  The best relief just seems to be to take preventative measures so eating small meals with foods that don't have a lot of acid or aren't too sugary or spicy.  That doesn't seem to leave much but a few foods that I don't have problems with are oatmeal, apples, and graham crackers.  Also, juice is a BIG no-no as well as pop.  And I have to drink water in small amounts throughout the day rather than with food.  No laying down right after eating and I have to eat more than 2 hours before bed.  Basically I'm writing these things down to remind myself in future pregnancies what has worked.

This past Saturday we went on a tour of the labor and delivery floors of the hospital.  I was suprised at how many couples showed up there were probably 60 of us.  That's a lot of spring babies! I've never been around so many pregnant women before.  It was kind of comforting being around lots of people in that same situation as myself.

I was worried the tour might make me more anxious about having the baby but it actually made me feel more relaxed about the whole process.  All the nurses we met seemed really nice and I feel confident in the staff and environment.  The best part was going up to the nursery window and seeing all the brand new babies!!! The nurse in there held one of the babies up and everyone just sighed :) She was giving him a bath and he was crying but literally 5 seconds after the bath he was back asleep.

Other pregnancy benchmarks this trimester include feeling the baby move all over my stomach rather than just kicks in one place.  Thomas actually noticed this before I did.  He had been studying and came into bed after I had fallen asleep and put is arm around me and he said he just felt her moving all around.  The next morning before he got up I was laughing because I was feeling her move my whole stomach.  She's starting to kick up in the ribs area and I recognized her hiccups for the first time this past week. They feel like kicks to me but softer and they come one after another.

Last week I wanted to get outside to workout so I convinced Thomas to come walk/jog with me on the greenbelt.  I decided to walk for 2 minutes and then jog slowly for 3 minutes and keep repeating this pattern.  I felt really good the whole time and was loving being outside and jogging.  Once we got home though and I was walking around I could tell my lower ab muscles were not use to supporting the weight of a pregnant tummy and I was walking funny for the rest of the week.  No more jogging for me.  I did order a belly support band though so I can continue incline walking on the treadmill and hopefully doing Zumba.

Bring on the third trimester!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your pregnancy is going so well! I also had problems with reflux/heartburn and with supporting my growing belly. The support band I got is great - if you want to know what one I got, I'd be more than happy to share it with you. Also, Pepcid is allowed during pregnancy and helped SO much more than Tums ever did or could. Anyway, it's worth a shot if you can't handle it anymore... especially once she really starts growing and running out of space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried a lot of different things for my heartburn and I finally found relief with Zantag. I take one 30 minutes before breakfast and one 30 minutes before dinner and I go all day without heartburn. It's fabulous! It's safe for the baby, and you can even use the generic Wal-Mart brand.

    ReplyDelete