Saturday, June 19, 2010

Science Nerdo-s


Thomas and I went on another little getaway to Seattle this week.  Wednesday, Thomas took his boards and he PASSED!!!! He did amazing,  his preliminary score was a 93! And he needed a 75 to pass, so needless to say he passed with flying colors.
Soon after he got back from taking his boards we headed off to Seattle to spend a couple days with my sister Ashley and her hubby.  Wednesday we just hung out at their place and relaxed and watched t.v.  Ashley and my mom are on a diet called the HCG diet and it has an online recipe book with some yummy very low cal recipes.  Ashley made us thai broccoli and beef with jasmine rice for dinner, so good. 
Thursday I started the day off with a six miler.  I don't know if I'm getting bored or what but when I'm running for awhile I just have been stopping and walking for a bit. It's not cause I'm too physically tired, I just don't feel like running.  Still, I got the mileage in.  Even the 6x100 meter strides at the end felt slow for me. 
Once we were all showered and ready to go we headed to the Pacific Science Center. 
This view reminds me of the Seattle Rock and Roll 1/2 last year.  The finish line was right there near Qwest Field.

The Butterfly House at the Science Center. This little guy did not want to get off of my pant leg.  A little boy watching was like "I want a butterfly to land on me!" Truthfully I was a little freaked out when they landed near me.  They remind me of moths and I HATE moths.

They had little charts so you could identify the different butterlies.
When I asked Thomas his favorite part of the museum he said "the x-ray part."  Here you are trying to identify what bone you are looking at and what is broken.  Of course Thomas was  pro at it.
This is just a bar with a string attatched that you pull up and can make a giant bubble!
If you spin the bike wheel and then stand on a little spinning thing it will automatically move you from side to side.
The main exhibit this month was circus themed so they had this jumpy thing you could do flips on and a tightrope 9 feet above the ground you could walk across (with a harness on). This little girls was so funny she didn't know how to flip so she just kind of hung out up there for a few minutes, enjoying the view.
Bet you didn't know I married a body builder!?
Did you know that knife eaters actually do swallow the knives!? They just practice with really dull bladed knives and learn to supress their gag reflex!
Infectious laughter is the best!
A kid tried this right before we did and made it look so easy! I couldn't even get half myself in there!
Did you know that lions can't purr? Their throats are made differently than cats.
We like the Science Center
I wish that schools were able to have things like the Science Center.  It's so fun to learn by seeing and doing.  We went to the planetarium and as you are leaning back in your seat and looking up to the dome shaped ceiling you can see all the planets and stars, it's sweet.  I learned that some solar systems have more than one sun. And I learned that there are 4 year olds that know more than I do.  This little 4 year old girl sitting next to us was sitting there pointing to the planets and naming them for her mom! And the "scientist" teaching us let us ask questions and some of the questions the kids asked just blew me away.  Such an awesome way to learn.  It was a great refresher for me on the planets.
We also went to an IMAX show called "The Journey of Man".  It had Cirquedu Soleil acts in it.  Amazing!
I'll post my favorite part from it in the next blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment