Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Geo Nerdos

After the half marathon last Saturday we just sat around our hotel and watched the world cup and rested up. So by Sunday we were nice and refreshed and ready to go. Our first stop of the day was Lava Lands right outside of Sunriver. Basically this mountain exploded like 7,000 years ago and the lava hardened into lava rock. It's crazy because half of the mountain had lava rock and the other half is pretty bare with some trees. Then right next to the lava rock is a few miles of forest, and then right next to the forest are these snow covered mountains. So beautiful!


Thomas is really strong, really he is.

This is a littl mini lava tube.

Lava rock, forest, mountains.


Next stop was the Lava Tube Caves. This cave, made by the lava flow, is about 1 mile long. Partway through the cave there is a sign that tells you that you are actually walking under the freeway!

See my breath!

At the entrance of the cave.

About to step into the warm sunlight.

I tried to take more pics but it is so dark in there my flash wasn't bright enough. In some pics all I got was complete darkness and my breath cause it was so cold. It was pretty crazy going from about 85 degrees and taking a couple steps towards the front of the cave and feeling like it was about 45 degrees!

Thomas and I have decided when we have kids we really want to take them to stuff like this. Walking through the lava land and lava caves reminded me so much of geography class and made me wish that was how I was taught, through experience, not just sitting in a classroom. The Pacific Science Center made me wish the same thing. So I totally want to take our kids to these kind of places so it will help them have more real life experience to connect with their classroom learning.

After the Lava Cave, we headed to Sunriver Resort. We stayed Sunday til Monday at Thomas’ parent’s timeshare. The resort is where the half marathon was held. There are 31 miles of paved bike path. Sunday we took an hour and a half bike ride and snapped pictures of the half marathon course.

Beautiful view of Mt. Bachelor

Deshcutes river

We ran threw a few of these tunnels.

These are some of the condos on the resort and spectators would sit on their porches and cheer us on as we passed.

More of the Deschutes River.

Is this picture perfect or what!?

I have been wanting to go on a bike ride for a long time and this was the most perfect bike ride ever! After this wonderful trip to Sunriver we want to go back every year.  As I said, there are miles of bike trail, there is a river to go float down, swimming pools, sand volleyball courts, tennis courts, parks, just everything. 

Monday before checking out and heading home we went on another 45 minute bike ride.  I could seriously start every day doing that.  Such a wonderful weekend.  Running has given us a great chance to visit places that we wouldn't normally plan to see.  I love running and I love vacations!

4 comments:

  1. I've never been to Sunriver, what a beautiful place. And those lava tubes, very cool.

    We sure are going to miss you guys, did you actually find a place to live in Rexburg? I know of one if you don't, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Saimi! We will miss you guys too. We did find a place to live in Rexburg :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally gorgeous pictures! I would love to ride my bike there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agh. You're making me homesick. I used to live in Bend. Bet ya didn't know that, did you?

    ReplyDelete