Monday, August 1, 2011

Rejection

Just got the news today that I didn't get the 5th grade teaching job that I had interviewed at the school I student taught at.  I had really tried to mentally prepare myself for not getting the job but it didn't work :( Still had a nice little cry after I got the news and the rest of the day I've felt like I'm holding back tears.  It just really sucks when you have spent so much time, effort, and even money into something that you are really passionate about (teaching) and then not being able to do what you really want to do. All these feelings of self doubt are arising and I'm questioning what is wrong with me.  I can honestly say I've done my best and worked really hard in my schooling.  That's what is frustrating is that you can do your best and it isn't always good enough. 
The principal is so kind and broke the news really nicely.  I don't even want to write down the nice things he said because I feel like although they were nice and sincere they mean nothing if it means I didn't get the job.
So my back up plan has always been to substitute teach, not my ideal job. I like having a routine and a schedule and it just seems with substitute teaching it's so random and unexpected where you will go each day and what kind of class you will have.  Plus, I'll be getting paid crap $7.50/hour in the Meridian school district.  I did not get a bachelor's degree to be paid minimum wage.  So that works out to about $66/day.  My friend from Australia who I saw this weekend was shocked when I told her that.  In Australia subs are paid $300/day.  Obviously I'm not in teaching for the money but it would be nice to be able to pay back student loans and I would like some job security. 
This is totally a downer post but it's how I feel :(

7 comments:

  1. Sorry, hun! If it makes you feel any better I didn't get hired until my third interview! A friend of mine had to interview 12 times! The right school will come along, I promise. Just always mention differentiating instruction and using hands on activities and technology. That's all the rage right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Lindsey! Any school would be so lucky to have you! You will find something perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know rejection like nobodies business. I don't think anything really makes you feel better but just keep trying. Don't give up and you can do it! I know how it feels and that is just Idaho pay... will you be there forever.

    You are smart, kind and intelligent. We all know you are excellent with children and if anything I love you. Rusty said this to me after a bad day. When people don't pick you or when things are rough at work remember I love you.

    I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry Linds! I can't believe that they passed you up! Don't worry, it's okay to feel like crap about it for a while! Remember we love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry Linds! Who knows? Maybe there's a better job out there for you, that you wouldn't get had you gotten this one. I know that's been the case for me before! I hope everything works out for you! And don't hold back the tears... let 'em all out, you'll feel better afterward. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You never know what's around the corner! have your time with bumming out and cry as much as you want! but keep your chin up and know you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete