Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Last day of Family Reunion

Thomas and I had to take off half a day earlier than everyone else because we had the wedding of one of my best friends from high school to attend on Saturday.
Friday morning we went with most of the group to Fish Creek Falls along a little 1/2 mile trail to see the falls and take pictures.




Thomas and I then headed back to the condo to finish packing while the rest went to the alpine slide. 
We got to Ogden, UT around 6:30pm and it was still light enough for us to go on a bike ride along the Weber river.  We had just decided to turn around and head back when a firefighter came running up to us and asked if we had seen anybody in the river.  We hadn't but offered to ride our bikes back along the trail and check.  We found a guy alongside the river on his cell phone and he asked if the rescue team was on their way.  We rode back and told the officer where to find him and then got out of there. Once we got home we found the newspaper article online about what happened.  There were two daughters and a mom kayaking in the river and the mom had been dumped out of her kayak and got stuck in some trees and couldn't get out.  She didn't have any injuries except for being cold.  We were glad to be able to help out and speed things up a bit for the rescue :)
It was pretty fun camping out since we haven't done that at all this summer.  After our bike ride we got in the tent and played a few rounds of Monopoly Deal and then went to sleep... or at least tried to.  Unbeknownst to me the campground was RIGHT next to train tracks and I kid you not there was a training going by ALL night.  Plus there was a little kid screaming their lungs out for the first hour or so I was trying to sleep (Thomas fell asleep immediatley). 
The next morning I was worried we would smell like smoke from some campfires around us and I didn't want to go to the wedding smelling like I had been camping.  But I gave myself a sponge bath using the spigot next to our site and Thomas found some outlets next to the bathrooms that I was able to plug my blow dryer and flat iron into :) I'm sure the people around us were thinking it was pretty dumb to be blow drying your hair while camping but whatever.  I was just happy to feel clean.

The wedding was at the Twin Falls, ID temple which just happened to be on our route home to Boise so it worked out perfectly.


Lauren was so happy and I loved remembering back to our wedding day and what an exciting time it was.



  I can't wait to go to her reception this weekend and get a chance to chat with her more :) One thing I loved that they did was they had box lunches for everybody so that while the family was taking pictures, the friends and extended family could have a little picnic lunch on the temple grounds.  Such a thoughtful idea.
I am so grateful for Lauren's friendship throughout junior high and high school.  I think we first met when I moved to Yakima in seventh grade and she found out I was a member of the same church.  We both played volleyball in junior high and the ran track together in high school.  We are both tall and I remember borrowing one of her dresses for a dance I went to with a boy from another high school.  She has always been such a positive influence in my life she is an incredibly hard worker and has achieved so much in her life because of her positive attitude and hard work.  I wish her and her husband all the best in their new life together.

1 comment:

  1. So happy for Lauren! What a beautiful bride. That's crazy that you were part of a rescue mission. Fun story to tell. . . you guys probably saved that woman's life I think. :)

    ReplyDelete