Thursday, January 3, 2013

Brooklyn's First Christmas

We spent Brooklyn's first Christmas in Yakima, WA at my parents house.  Thomas and I were so ready for a whole week together as a family. 
The evening we arrived in Yakima I went with Brooklyn to meet up with some old friends from High school.  One of them has a new two month old baby and another is 12 weeks pregnant. It's so crazy to think back on who we all were in High school and how we have changed and grown to be the people we are today.
On Christmas Eve we went caroling with my parents to neighbors and another of my friends from High school, Jessica's. A fellow student from our high school that she was very close with passed away the day before and we figured she could use a little cheering up.  You know what Buddy the elf says "the best way to spread Christmas cheer is by singing loud for all to hear." She was so excited to get carolers :) Brooklyn had helped me make sugar cookies for the goody plates we brought caroling with us.
Photobucket
Helping me mix the dough.

We also went to look at some Christmas lights at a house that every year does an extravagant display. 

Photobucket
Nana and Brooklyn
Photobucket
Thomas and Brooklyn
Photobucket
Some of the lights on the property.
Photobucket
Nana teaching Brooklyn the story of Jesus' birth.
Photobucket
Brooklyn and her Nana and Pops
Photobucket
Our family in front of the big garage filled with Christmas characters.
Christmas morning we had Brooklyn open some of her presents first.  She loved chewing on the ribbon and did pretty good tearing the paper off. To keep her from getting too overwhelmed we put her down for a nap while the rest of us opened presents and then she opened her remaining presents after her nap.  She got lots of clothes, toys, and books.  Some of her fave presents so far are her Disney train, Melissa and Doug musical instruments, Rock N' Stack, and chew necklace. The chew necklace was a gift from Thomas to me.  It is made for mommy's to wear and babies to chew on.  Genius idea! Brooklyn grabbed for it and put it in her mouth the moment I put it on.

Photobucket
Kisses for her Great Grandpa Clement
Photobucket
Another book to add to the collection.
Photobucket
Look how happy this BSU outfit made her! A true Bronco's fan.
Photobucket
A baby can never have enough hair bows.
Photobucket
Playing with the ribbon.
Photobucket
Merry Christmas from the Giles!
Photobucket
Loving her Pops' attention and the Chewby necklace.
Photobucket
Being read to by her Nana.
Photobucket
Zebra print, pink, and a big bow doesn't get any cuter than that.
Christmas afternoon we headed over to Thomas' brother's house for lunch and opening some more presents.
Christmas evening was dinner at my parents with Grandpa Clement and later games.
Our Christmas festivities made for some memorable moments.  The best parts were just being with family and seeing everybody happy.  I know gifts aren't the most important thing about Christmas but this year it really clicked with me one of the reasons why we give gifts.  It's only appropriate that on Christ's, the most selfless man to have walked the earth,birthday instead of giving him gifts we give each other gifts. Another act of selflessness, celebrating your birthday by having others receive gifts.  I can understand Heavenly Father loving seeing His children happy as they feel of the givers thoughtfulness and love.  I can relate to that because having a child of my own now I really could care less what I receive but it made me so happy to see my child be showered with gifts and love. It made me so happy to see my grandpa, husband, mom, dad, and daughter opening gifts and being surprised and grateful.  Best part of Christmas. 
Thomas got a new snowboard for Christmas so later that week my mom watched Brooklyn for us so Thomas and I could go up to White Pass Ski Resort to snowboard.  I was nervous beforehand but it all came back to me after the first run and we had a really fun time.  I love seeing Thomas in his element and how happy he is up on the mountain. 
What a wonderful first Christmas for our little Brooklyn and our whole family.  


Photobucket

Photobucket
After our day of snowboarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment