Friday, March 18, 2011

Three Cups of Tea

I just finished reading the book "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin.  On night shift Thomas was working with a girl who really likes to read and she mentioned how good this book was.  Thomas is not a big reader at all but she let him borrow it and he started reading it.  I was pretty shocked seeing him really get into this book since I've never seen him read a none textbook.  I figured it must be pretty good so I started reading it one night when Thomas was working and quickly got hooked.
The true story follows a guy named Greg Mortenson.  He is a climber and was trying to climb K2, the second highest mountain on earth, when he gets sick and lost and ends up in a village in Pakistan.  He falls in love with the people and sees a need for a school because the children sit outside in the cold using sticks to write with for their schooling.  He begins trying to find donors to help fund the school.  Basically his charity grows and he is able to see how by educating children in the middle east, he can help stop the spread of fundamentalist Muslims/ the growing Taliban.
This book helped open my eyes to some of the issues going on in the middle east and presents a simple solution.
I've now started reading The Help on my kindle.  Great book so far.  I know a book is good when I want to stay up past my bed time reading it.  

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE both of those books, too. The Help is one of my favorites, ever. Congrats on passing the Spanish Praxis, too. That is a huge accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it was a good read. I've been eyeballing it at the in-laws for a while and wanted to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete