Saturday, March 12, 2011

Cross-country skiing


Today we went cross country skiing.  This was Thomas' first time and I would consider it mine too since I have only gone once like 5 years ago.  We signed up to go with the school's outdoors activity program.  It was only $10 for each of us and that included equipment and transportation.  There ended up only being two other people who signed up to go plus the two leaders/instructors. Thomas and I both agreed we loved cross country skiing.  We did not however love the ride to and from Harriman State Park.  The male leader was talking the whole time about political stuff and if anybody tried to share their view he would totally shut them down and keep going on and on. He did however allow the female leader to share her view of how marijuana should be legalized for medical purposes and how she would use it rather than other medicine.
The ride there started off like 45 minutes late because somebody had forgotten a key to the van so we ended up taking a big 6 seater truck.  Since they weren't expecting to take the truck we had to fill it up with gas on our way out of town.  Just as we are about to leave one of the girls says her ski boots are too small.  Thomas just gave me a look.  You know it's bad when even Thomas gets annoyed (I get annoyed pretty often so it wouldn't be that bad if it was just me). So then we had to drive back to get her some boots.  It took about 45 minutes to get to the state park.

Harriman State Park is absolutely beautiful! We skied along a river and had a great view of the Tetons.

We skied for about 3 hours with a break for lunch at one of the little cabins.  The cabin kind of freaked me out cause it was so old and had animal specimens all over.

  Harriman State Park would be a wonderful place to go in the summertime too for bike riding and hiking.  So pretty! Today there were lots of cute families there with there kids. Such a fun family activity. We saw this family taking a break.  That little sled like thing is for a kid to sit in.  There is a rope in front and something to go around an adults waist so they can pull a kid while they ski! Genius!
 Cross country skiing really isn't difficult, at least Nordic type, which is what we did.  You just stay in the tracks and when you go downhill just keep up your speed and don't try to brake because that is when you will fall.


I was surprised at how warm it felt as we started.  We ended up shedding our coats after our first mile and a half or so.  I loved that the sun was out and could feel it warming my body.

Thomas is such a hottie.  The whole time he was skiing he reminded me of a model from a commercial advertising some winter clothing or something.
I didn't really feel like I got a huge cardio workout but afterwards my legs were for sure tired :) And I loved spending time with my hottie lover boy. We want to buy some used cross country skis for next winter so we can go explore more beautiful trails.


2 comments:

  1. How fun! :) That bear is really freaky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. The leaders need to be fired. At least talked to. OH wow. I cannot believe they were discussing that. Weather is always an appropriate topic. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU'RE GOING SKIING!!!! Well, looks like you had a good trip overall. :)

    ReplyDelete