Thursday, April 21, 2016

Riverton Half Marathon

The Riverton Half Marathon was my 11th half. The night before Felicia and I drove to Riverton to try and drive the course but after getting lost and then finally getting on the route we realized three miles in that the remaining course was on a paved walking/bike path that we wouldn't be able to drive.  So we headed to Brittani's to spend the night.
We were up before our alarm went off and got our gear on and were off to the start. The start was a bit windy and it was chilly but they had heat lamps we could stand around till the gun went off.
The first three miles were fast at about a 7:30/mile pace! Around mile four Felicia needed to take off her long sleeves and told me to go on.
Around mile five my right foot went tingly, like it was asleep.  This seems to happen when I'm running faster.  It's not painful just a little uncomfortable.  I forged on and at about the halfway point we were no longer running into the wind.  The course had some rolling hills but was pretty much flat.  I felt well prepared for any elevation gain seeing as how anyway you run from our place you have hills. When I knew I had about an hour left of running I put my music on.  This was a good way to break up the course and give me something to look forward to.
There were some other runners I was keeping my eye on and one in particular that in the last couple miles started to make some gains on.  Finally at mile twelve I kicked it into high gear and passed her.
I've found a good racing strategy for me is to try to stick with people who I want to run about the same pace as and then towards the end start reeling people in.
Finished the race officially in 1:42:47 at a 7:50 pace.  Never did I think I could run 13.1 miles in the 7's!!!
I ended up coming in first in my age group and 9th woman overall out of 151. I got a second medal for my age group award plus a gift certificate to a local running store where I got some running fuel and a massage ball.
Here were my race splits:
Mile 1- 7:32
Mile 2- 7:36
Mile 3 - 7:29
Mile 4- 7:57
Mile 5- 8:08
Mile 6- 8:11
Mile 7- 8:18
Mile 8- 8:07
Mile 9- 8:08
Mile 10-7:45
Mile 11- 7:52
Mile 12- 8:21
Mile 13- 7:25
At the start












2 comments:

  1. So awesome Linds!! You are inspiring! Such skills!!
    -Tess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your training paid off. Those mile times, dang gina!!! I'm finally caught up on your life, so grateful you blog. Xo

    ReplyDelete