Monday, April 1, 2013

First Day of Swimming Lessons

Brooklyn isn't a huge fan of the tub.  She pretty much cries every time we put her in it.  So I have been worried that she has a fear of water. From personal experience I feel like the more you are afraid of an activity the more dangerous it is for you because you over react and get yourself hurt. So I wanted to nip this little problem of being afraid of water in the bud early and signed her up for swimming lessons at the YMCA.
I was picturing myself with a screaming baby clinging to my neck as a attempted to get us in the water.  I even planned out my apologies to the other class participants beforehand. But... it ended up being completely fine!
We got to class about 10 minutes early and Brooklyn just sat on my lap watching the other swimming lessons going on and even seemed to be anxious to get in the water herself by her body language.
When it was time for class to start she was just calm as a cucumber.  Brooklyn was the youngest in the class at 10 months while the other two participants, both boys, were two years old. Our instructor, Annie, first had us practicing cueing.  The parents would put the babies on the edge of the pool and then count and have them jump into our arms (obviously Brooklyn can't really jump so I would just lift her into my arms).  We did this a few times and then did the Hokie Pokie and "splashed all about". Later in the class we practiced having the babies on their tummies and reaching for an object to get the outreached arm motion going.  That was followed by singing the motor boat song accompanied by actions in the pool.  And to end class we practiced having them float on their back.  Brooklyn LOVED this part.  She was so relaxed it was ADORABLE!!! And seeing Brooklyn in a swimsuit! Oh my goodness I couldn't stop loving on that little lady!

 photo DSCF1321_zps3c567d8b.jpg
Her legs look so long!!! Mmmm yummy baby!

3 comments:

  1. She looks tall like her momma! I love little babes in swimsuits! That is great that it went so well!
    -Tess

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks like she's grown a BUNCH since I was there...how can this be? Brooklyn, remember, we had a deal, you can't grow up before you come visit Nana in May!

    ReplyDelete