Thursday, June 14, 2012

Getting Out

The past couple days I've made it a goal to get out of the house at least once.  Wednesday Brooklyn and I went to the breastfeeding bunch.  The hospital offers it to women and you just bring your baby and there is a lactation consultant there to ask any questions to and it's a chance for you to feel like you aren't alone in your concerns/questions about breastfeeding.  I went a couple weeks ago with my mom and got some help on positioning the baby better but I wanted to go one more time to make sure things still looked good. 
I feel like breastfeeding is such a skill that you have to try and perfect much like learning a skill in volleyball or any sport, you just have to get the technique down and practice a lot and it gets easier.  It has started to get easier (you were right Mom). 
I was glad that we got to the group a little later because there were a ton of women there and they were all just about leaving when we got there so we were able to get the attention we needed from the lactation consultant.
I also like going because I can weigh Brooklyn and see how much she is getting at her feedings.  Yesterday when we got there she was 8lbs 5oz and after eating she was 8lbs 7.4oz.  And it looks like we have our technique down pretty well :)
I also took Brooklyn with me in the Moby Wrap to Albertson's which is just down the road from us.  I decided to walk because 1) I wanted to get some exercise. and 2) Brooklyn hates the car seat.  She screams and screams in it.  Hopefully by the time we go to Yakima in a few weeks she's gotten over that.  It helps when someone is in the backseat with her so she can suck on their finger.  And by that time we will give her a pacifier so that should help. 
The third reason we went to Albertson's was I needed some ingredients for dinner.  I learned that it's really tough making dinner when your baby is awake.  I would set her down for 5 minutes or so in her rocker and get a part of the recipe going and then need to pick her up again.  Finally I ditched the idea of making flautas and instead went with a simpler cafe rio style salad.  The plan is to get a bunch of crockpot and freezer recipes ready this weekend while Thomas is around to watch Brooklyn so that meals are easier during the week.
Today Brooklyn and I went with my friend Lyndsay and her baby Korbin to the New Mom's Group the hospital offers.  Each week for 8 weeks they have a different topic and this week it was vision and safety.  Again it's nice to just be able to connect with other new mom's and ask questions.  The nurse who teaches this class is the same one who taught our childbirth prep class.
I was telling Thomas that it use to be that when I was home during the day not working I would get totally bored and feel pretty worthless and unmotivated.  Now the days pretty much fly by and I feel very motivated and accomplishing even the littlest thing like a load of laundry feels pretty awesome.  I love having my little one with me all day.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like things are going really well! I'm so happy for you guys. I totally hear you on getting out at least once a day. It can be challenging but it can also be a life saver. We should get together soon. We will be gone Sun-Wed but sometime after that! I bet little Brooklyn is growing and changing so much already. And Penny is pretty much an old lady now :)
    -Tess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Lindsey! I'm glad it's going better! It hurts (I know) but for me, there are two things that are really best for nursing. Relaxing and practice. And it sounds like as Brooklyn gets her practice in, you're relaxing more. And can you blame her for wanting to be in your arms? You're a great Mom. Keep up the wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete