Friday, October 15, 2010

California Trip

My parents had planned a trip to Australia for their 30th wedding anniversary and my dad had taken two weeks off work and everything but then they decided it would be too much with the cost of plane tickets and all.  So they decided to include their kids in their anniversary trip and invited us to go to Anaheim, CA with them.  We had been planning this since before fall semester started so from the beginning of the semester I had time to arrange getting homework turned in early.  The plan was to go from Tuesday to Tuesday but I could only miss two of my Tuesday/Thursday classes.  So we left Tuesday after my morning class. 
But let me rewind to Monday night.  About 11:30pm my phone rang and I found out that my sister Bea was in the hospital cause she was possibly having a miscarriage.  We had just dropped our car off at the mechanic and so were carless.  So I looked out the window and saw my neighbor Keli's lights were still on so I called her and she was so kind to take Thomas and I to the hospital to pick up my nephew Alex.  Alex was a little trouper and went right to bed and slept until I got home from my class at 9am. 
We were a little nervous driving 15 hours to California with a one year old but until the very end he was a champ.  It was so sad once he just got fed up with being stuck in a car for so long and there was no way to comfort him.  We ended up just pulling over at the next gas station and letting him walk around for about an hour. 

                                       Mr. Stinky Pants getting all messy with his lucky charms.
The first day in California we took it easy around the hotel.  There was a nice outdoor shopping area right next to the hotel so we went there and ate at Bubba Gump's. 
                                                     Quite possibly the cutest picture ever.
                                                               Mr.Cool and his Nana
                                                     Brother in law Forest I mean... Mike
The next two days we spent at Knott's Berry Farm.  Thomas had only been on one roller coaster his whole life before this!


Our first ride at Knott's Berry Farm.  I screamed like crazy.  The little kids facing us laughed their heads off at me (so did Thomas).

 My brother in law Mike and hubby Thomas wouldn't go on this one with us.  My dad gave them a hard time for it.  The Supreme Scream shoots you straight up and then drops you twice.  The worst part is the anticipation of falling.
 Alex either wasn't happy sitting with me on the truck or he was impatient to get moving.
 This rollercoaster had a good size drop AND you got wet.
 Really wet.  There was a sign as you were leaving that said "Dryer ahead"  but you had to pay five bucks for it!
That's Thomas and I in the blue shirts.

We started out a little too fast for him that first day and he was feeling a little sick after the first couple rides.  But after lunch he was ready to get going again. I love that Knott's Berry Farm has so many adult rides.  Honestly I think that I like it better than Universal Studios where we went for my senior trip.  Everyday we packed a lunch and would eat it in the little picnic area they had outside the park.  The picnic area is filled with roosters and chickens.  At first I thought it was kind of cool but then on the second day one flew right up on our table and scattered some of our food, disgusting. 

                                       My dad was intent on catching one and he was successful.
 The were all over! I guess Knott's Berry Farm started out as a chicken farm and then they added a Ghost town to entertain people and it kept getting bigger from there.
Alex loved splashing in the puddles.
At Medieval Times






Friday night we went to Medieval Times.  Medieval Times is a dinner/theater.  The unique thing about it is that everyone is dressed up in old style clothing and you watch "knights" jousting as they act out a little play.  We were assigned to cheer for the green knight who turns out to be the evil one.  The food was great (although it all came up later) and it was very entertaining.   From the start I was feeling pretty sick.  The feeling came and went throughout the whole perfermance.  Finally when we got back to the hotel I threw up and that continued throughout the whole night.  Luckily Saturday was a relaxed day and we just hung out at the hotel by the pool.  I think my favorite part of the trip was hanging by the pool.  It was perfect temperature and so relaxing. 
We decided instead of leaving Sunday early morning we would drive through the night on Saturday so Alex would be asleep the majority of the trip.  It worked wonderfully and we didn't have a single break down! Vacation was fun but we were glad to be home and back into our routine. 
Thomas started his new job as an ER tech at the hospital and is loving it.  He works 12 hour days, but it's much better than 9 hour days at a job that sucks.  He is my hardworking man and I love him!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome, awesome, awesome!!! Happy anniversary to your parents!!

    Oh my gosh! Ken took me to Medieval times once and we had a BLAST!! We loved everything about but I have to tell ya, those horses are beautiful!

    What fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of Alex on Thomas' shoulders is SO cute! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the picture were it looks like just and your husband are on the rollercoaster!! lol

    ReplyDelete