Sunday, July 20, 2014

Fit for Life Half Marathon 2014

This half I was determined to beat my PR that I set in June of 2011.  I have been running three days a week, working out with a personal training one day a week, taking a kettle bell class one day a week, and practicing yoga another day.
I felt nervous but confident going into the race.
The course was a flat, mainly shaded, paved greenbelt path. The first half I was running 8:30/mile which is actually faster than my fastest 10K.  There was a guy that was going about my pace and I trailed off of him until the turnaround point. Once I hit the turn around point I got some water and then fought a sideache that really slowed me down for the rest of the race.  Once I had a 5K left I knew I needed to pick it up if I wanted to beat my time.
I pushed through the sideache and as I entered the homestretch Thomas and my brother and sister in law (Michael and Angie) were there encouraging me to hurry.  Crossed the finish line out of breath but proud.  I beat my time by a little over a minute.  Finished in 1:53:30 about an 8:40/mile pace.
Thomas ran the 5K and came in first in his age group! We both agreed we wouldn't be sad to not run this particular race again.  Although it is cool finishing at the baseball stadium's home plate, the course is pretty boring, no fans to really cheer you on, not very well organized, the race swag is mininmal (shirts are all men's sizing), and the only post race food are hot dogs (not what I want to eat right after a long hard run).
My next half is in September and ideally I would like to do even better.  Next race is a couple weeks away and will be my first trail race!  photo finishline_zpsb0ef48af.jpg  photo finishline2_zps6fdf7e2b.jpg  photo thomasfinish_zpsefbe6d7f.jpg  photo IMG_3826_zps88833777.jpg

1 comment:

  1. You inspire me. Im trying hard to build up the courage to do Barber to Boise this Fall. I ran 3.5 miles last week. First time in 5 years. But it took me 40 mins though :/

    ReplyDelete