Tuesday, November 26, 2013

GOTR Fall 2013

I had heard about the program Girls On The Run through a blog that I read and it was a volunteer opportunity that really appealed to me.
Last spring I volunteered to be a running buddy during their end of the season 5K.  I was matched up with two fourth grade girls and ran next to them during the 5K for support and encouragement.
This year I decided I wanted to be more involved and become a coach.
I was at Longfellow Elementary which is in the North End of Boise.  I LOVED the girls that I coached and we had excellent parent support.  We had eight third grade girls participate this season.  Practices were twice a week for 75 minutes after school.
The program helps girls by getting them trained to be able to complete a 5K while teaching lessons about self esteem, friendship, body image, media messages, etc.
One lesson that we had that stuck out to me was on standing up for yourself and others.  One of the girls said that something her mom has taught her is that if someone says something to you like "You are so stupid!"  you look them straight in the eye and say very matter of fact "That's not the truth about me."  I got chills when she told me that.  I think it's so powerful for girls to be able to stand up for themselves and to like and respect themselves.  These third grade girls had such great confidence in themselves and I hope that remains with them throughout their junior high and high school years.
The week before our actual 5K race we had a practice 5K during one of our practices.  We had parents show up and run with the girls, music playing, a crepe paper finish line, and refreshments for afterwards.  We timed them all so that for the real 5K they could have a time to beat.
I was so proud of all our girls because the ALL smashed their times at the 5K race and did AWESOME!

 photo IMG_0950_zps967a0091.jpg
One of our warm up activites.
 photo IMG_0956_zps221b7c85.jpg
The girls kind of loved it when the sprinklers would be on during practice.
 photo IMG_0957_zps684658f3.jpg
High knees.  Brooklyn sat this one out.
 photo IMG_1249_zpsa93caf1d.jpg
The start of the practice 5K with some of the parents.
 photo IMG_1359_zps7991905a.jpg
Dancing to the YMCA to get warmed up for the real 5K.
 photo IMG_1361_zps371f7030.jpg
There was a booth set up where the girls could get temporary hair dye.
 photo IMG_1365_zps8302358c.jpg
We braided the girls hair and added sparkles too.
 photo IMG_1366_zpsf5a16abf.jpg
Half of our team.
 photo IMG_1363_zps03c43e22.jpg
Sweet girl
 photo photo4_zps9f25d96b.jpg
Our community service project of picking up trash.
 photo photo3_zps32a147ce.jpg
Love the facial expressions.
 photo IMG_1386_zpsb0ab7c8a.jpg
Ready to run!

1 comment:

  1. Who are you?! Way to be involved in the community! :)

    ReplyDelete