Sunday, May 19, 2013

Idaho Potato 5K

 Our Saturday started at 3:30am when Little Missy wanted to be up and play with mom and dad in their bed.  Thomas and I were talking about it later and we both secretly kind of liked it cause she was super cuddly and being so funny by stroking our faces and trying to give us her binky.
We all officially were up at 8am to get ready for the Idaho Potato 5K.  I was hoping to beat my last time and get a post baby PR.
 photo DSCF1397_zps563a844f.jpg
Team Beef Family
We were towards the front because from experience with our last race if we aren't near the front it really slows us down trying to dodge people who are walking when we are pushing a stroller.  Right before the race started one of the race official asked us to move to the very back of the 1,000 people because we had a stroller!! This ticked me off.  Just because we have a jogging stroller doesn't mean we are slow or walkers! He said it was a safety hazard.  I later wrote an e-mail to the race director suggesting that having someone pushing a jogging stroller who is running at an 8:00 minute mile pace behind people walking an 18:00 minute mile pace is what's a safety hazard.  If we were able to start with people running our same pace there would be no safety issue at all. We actually didn't go all the way to the back we just hid from the person in the middle of the pack and still ended up dodging hundreds of slower people.  I took off from the start cause I wanted to beat my time and Thomas was in charge of Brooklyn this race.
The first mile was super congested until we split from the 10K'ers at mile one.  I think the adrenaline from being mad at the person telling us to go to the back fueled my run and I felt awesome. The weather was perfect and I was just reelin' people in throughout the race.  Thomas and Brooklyn caught up to me the last 1/2 mile and we ran into the finish chute together with a final sprint.  Our stats:

Lindsey = 25:51
Overall 36th out of 561
Female 10th of  377
25-29 age division 2nd of 41

 photo DSCF1400_zps0d76ded7.jpg
Love them.  They had baby food samples there and Brooklyn enjoyed them as you can see by her messy face.
Thomas=
Overall 39th of 561
Male 27th of 184
25-29 age division 2nd of 19

We were both completely surprised to each get 2nd in our age divisions! Thomas was a total trooper to push the stroller the whole way and let me try to do my best.
 photo DSCF1401_zps89808561.jpg
2nd place for us both.
Oh ya and as soon as we put Brooklyn in her stroller at the start of the race she screamed bloody murder (nap time).  I think everyone's eyes were on us.  We laughed when as soon as the national anthem started she stopped, the girl already knows to show respect for her country :). She was fine as soon as we started moving but man that girl is high maintenance sometimes (okay a lot of times).
 photo DSCF1394_zps7a03b9f0.jpg
Happy
 photo DSCF1395_zps5c11d39c.jpg
to Sad in a split second.
On that same subject, I took her to a free stroller strides class last week and she screamed pretty much the entire time.  Out of like 50 kids there she was the only one crying and I was the Mama holding my baby in my arms as I'm doing squats to try and settle her down.  Again it was nap time but all the other tired babies just passed out in their strollers.  I love her and wouldn't trade her for anything though ;)

1 comment:

  1. Yay! You guys are awesome! Good for you for writing an email, I think they don't consider all perspectives sometimes, or all the time. I want to snuggle little Brooklyn!!! Her sad face is so sweet, and it makes me want to snuggle her more!!
    -Tess

    ReplyDelete