Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Family Reunion 2015

My mom sent all my sisters a text sometime in May asking if we wanted to attend a family reunion in Craig, Colorado in June.  I knew Thomas wouldn't be able to go because of school but it sounded like a fun trip to go on with Brooklyn and a great chance to see family.
Craig is about a 5 hour drive from Springville and I was pleasantly surprised how well it went with Brooklyn.  She did ask about 100 times if we were there yet and there were no tears.  Although I almost shed a few when I was pulled over 10 minutes from our destination and got a $169 speeding ticket.  The whole way there it's a two lane road.  One lane going one direction and one lane going the other.  I guess I've already gotten use to Utah driving where when the speed limit is 70mph you are passed right and left even going 10 mph over the limit.  So the speed limit had been 65 and pretty much the whole way I was going 75 then Brooklyn said she needed to poop and I got a text from my mom saying they were at the hotel so I decided to speed it about to 80.  Just a couple minutes after doing so I saw a cop pull around and put his lights on.  Shoot! He said there were lots of deer and elk in the area that's why it was 65 and he'd have to give me a ticket.
We met my mom, grandma, sister Bea, and her two boys at the hotel and shortly after met at a nearby church for dinner.
The reunion is held each year by my Great Grandma's half sister, Rayola's, family the Elgens. So most of the people I met were great aunts and distant cousins who shared the same great-great grandpa as myself. This year was special because it was the 70th wedding anniversary of Rayola and her husband .  Events included an almost 5K run, singing at the assisted living home Rayola lives in, renting out the wave pool, and a 70th anniversary reception.
The 5K run was pretty early in the morning so just my mom, Brooklyn and I made it.  My mom pushed Brooklyn in the stroller while I ran.  The route was a dirt road on the family ranch and it was so beautiful and serene.  We were cheered on at the end by some family who hadn't particpated and served breakfast.  After breakfast we took a big family picture and everyone got the chance to play with the farm toys like the digger, four wheelers, and guns. Brooklyn and I headed back to the hotel to take a nap since neither of us had slept well the night before and had an early morning.  photo IMG_8912_zpsagu5mkn2.jpg  photo IMG_8905_zpsflc18cwz.jpg  photo IMG_8902_zps9a8srvlb.jpg  photo IMG_8899_zpsvwse6j5u.jpg  photo IMG_8892_zps6wjabft2.jpg
Both nights at the hotel we tried to have the cousins all sleep together but Brooklyn ended up in bed with me both nights. It was so cute to see Brooklyn play with her cousins.  photo IMG_8964_zpsni8r2eyd.jpg  photo IMG_8890_zpsryoyodqe.jpg That evening was a family dinner. Afterwards as we were walking to the cars we saw this deer just hanging out in someones yard.  photo IMG_8884_zpsorchvisi.jpg The next day we went and sang songs at the nursing home.  It was so sweet seeing Rayola's children, grandchildren, and great grands sing to her and her hubby as they held hands.  They had six children and seeing all of their posterity made me think that all the hard work of raising children can be so gratifying in moments like that. All of the relatives we met were so welcoming and kind and just overall good people. It really speaks to the influence of Rayola and her husband.
That night as we prepared for the reception the kids had a blast running around the church and playing together. They even had a room set up for the kids to play Bingo.  photo IMG_8925_zpso1clsky0.jpg  photo IMG_8916_zpsy4alfmqk.jpg Alex was so cute with Brooklyn. Holding her hand and helping her with her shoes.  photo IMG_8883_zpsr3vlpi4l.jpg  photo IMG_8913_zpsl9t7qmgk.jpg
 The reception was beautiful with great food, decorations, and company.  photo IMG_8957_zpslqzvntut.jpg  photo IMG_8953_zps8vape4jp.jpg  photo IMG_8931_zpsh2qalr0v.jpg  photo IMG_8929_zps3mzteh2n.jpg  photo IMG_8928_zpsilxocazb.jpg  photo IMG_9010_zpssqorhlim.jpg  photo IMG_9007_zpsbpxyh75m.jpg  photo IMG_8979_zpsq00syx9x.jpg  photo IMG_8978_zpsswc6udw9.jpg  photo IMG_8973_zps1csj6eqo.jpg  photo IMG_8966_zpsmuucgb6z.jpg  photo IMG_8965_zpsqs1fxb7h.jpg The last day we rented out a wave pool and had such a blast! We hope to be back next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment