Sunday, May 1, 2011

Student Teaching Week #3

Another great week at Pioneer Elementary.  Our principal does the daily announcements over the intercom every morning and he always ends it with "learn something new out there pumas!" It makes me laugh every time.  He has the best announcers voice.
One experience this weekend that kind of broke my heart was that one of the girls in my class told me two days in a row that her snack had been stolen.  Everyday the kids get about 5 minutes to pull out a snack around 10:30am.  Some other student said she saw one of the boys eating the peanut butter crackers that the little girl was missing.  I looked in his desk at recess and saw the wrapper of the crackers.  So my cooperating teacher talked to him and let him know that some snacks had been taken and if it was him it needed to stop.  She let me know that his mom doesn't send him with a snack ever.  I guess he get's his breakfast and lunch at school and then the school even sends him food home over the weekend.  It broke my heart the next day seeing him watch while all of the other students ate their snacks.  I was teaching a math lesson about fractions that involved cutting apples and so I made sure to have him help and then let him have half the apple along with another boy who had forgotten his snack.  Then on Friday when he got his food for the weekend put in his backpack, during snack he ate a ton of it! He pulled out a fruit roll up, a little single serving box of frosted flakes, and a poptart.  It made me so sad to think that he might be so hungry.  I know that the other students don't realize that he doesn't bring a snack but it must seem like they do to him and I can just imagine how that makes him feel :( 
This next week I will be pretty much full time teaching.  Most of my Saturday's are spent lesson planning with a little fun filled in there.
This Saturday I went to another hot yoga class with Tess.  This time the teacher she normally goes to was there and it was Bikram yoga which I hadn't done before.  I really liked it and am excited to make it a part of my regular weekly workouts.  This coming Saturday Thomas and I and Tess and Ryan will be participating in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5K so we won't be able to go to Jaime's class.  But Tess and I will be going to the 6am Friday class with Don, our instructor from last week.

After yoga Tess and I both ran home to shower and get ready and then her, Ryan, and little Graham picked Thomas and I up and we went to the downtown Boise's farmer's market.  I was surpised at the number of samples of food.  There was meat, salsas, bread, cheese, and lots more.  I bought a bag of vanilla bath salts as a treat for myself for after my long runs.

Which speaking of long runs... I finished my second one of this training cycle this weekend.  It was another 8-miler and this time a little more flat since we ran on the greenbelt.  Thomas ran 5.5 of it with me.  He ran the first three and then started walking back while I ran one more and then met up with him with about 2.5 left.  The greenbelt is just a couple miles down the street from our apartment and is so pretty it runs along the river and has tons of parks that you run past and tons of walkers and joggers.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, that story about the little boy who doesn't get snacks makes me so sad! Can you bring snacks like a big container of animal crackers for the kids who don't bring snacks or forget them? Poor little boy! It makes me want to cry!

    ReplyDelete