Thursday, September 8, 2011

Oops I ripped my pants

I am actually enjoying substitute teaching way more than I thought I would.  I actually really like teaching in different classrooms and different schools and being able to see the variety of teaching styles and classroom managment styles. 
So far I have subbed for:
third grade
pre-school special ed
and P.E.
Today, while teaching P.E. I had classes of first to fifth graders.  So I am learning my preferences of what grades I lean in more favor towards.  I've decided I prefer grades 2nd-4th (I sub in fifth grade tomorrow so we'll see if I up the grade level a bit).  I don't really enjoy substituting in special ed classrooms so much just because I don't really know what to do when a kids lays on the ground and refuses to follow the class down the hall cause nowadays you can't really touch kids at all without fear of getting in trouble.  When I was a para educator in the pre-school special ed classroom I thought maybe I should have pursued my degree in Early Childhood/ Special Education but now I'm glad that I didn't. 
I think third grade will always have a special place in my heart.  I love the age third graders are at and the material they are learning in third grade. 

Some funny experiences so far while substituting and notice they all happened with third graders.  That's why I love them so much.

I had the following conversation with a third grade girl:
Third grader- "Do you work anywhere else besides the schools?"
Me- "No, why do you ask? Do I look familiar?"
Third grader- "No you just look like you could work at Ross."
Haha! I don't really take that as a compliment but it made me laugh cause I was wearing black dress pants and a blue top and I guess that is what Ross employees wear.

This was a conversation with a third grade boy when I was taking the class through the lunch line:
Third grader- "Are you a teenager still?"
Me- "No, why do I look like a teenager?"
Third grader- "Ya kinda."
Again I don't know whether to take it as a compliment or not but I'll choose to feel lucky that I look young.

Today in P.E. one chubby little boy ran up to me on the sidelines as the rest of his class was playing dodge ball. His hands were covering the crotch of his pants and he let me know that he had ripped his pants dodging a ball :) It made me chuckle cause I had seem him playing and he was really going all out.  I guess next time he'll "need to borrow some sweats" (name that movie).

I substituted for the wife of the principal of the school where I student taught and he later e-mailed me and said she was impressed and her and the rest of the third grade team would be requesting me for future absences.  He also let me know that the school I student taught at will be needing some long terms subs this school year and wanted to know if I was interested.  One would start next week and be for three months as a PM Kindergarten teacher and the other would be later in the school year for a teacher going on maternity leave for one of the primary grades.  I let him know I would be interested in the job in the primary grades. 

I'm excited for the chance I am having now to mix things up and get some good experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment