Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Sub

This past Tuesday I had my first substitute job! It was actually the first day of school for the school district so I thought it was kind of strange that somebody would already need a sub but that was okay with me cause it meant I had work. 
It was just a half day and it was for the resource room teacher, who nobody seemed to really know.  And when the secretary showed me the classroom there weren't any kind of decorations on the walls.  So she said since it was the first day of school there wouldn't be any students and I could just decorate the class a bit and then help out where needed.
Fine with me! I actually really like doing bulletin boards.  I put up a cute little welcome bulletin board with die cuts and then went out and tried to help direct parents and kids to their classrooms.  (Although I really wasn't that best person to ask since it was my first time at the school.)
I loved seeing parents drop their kids off for the first day of school and take pictures of their kids.  It was especially cute seeing dads with their kids.  I might have teared up just a bit.
The rest of the day I helped out in the office and loved it.  The office staff was so nice and we just chatted away us I helped file things and helped get bussing figured out.
When I left the main secretary said thank you and let me know she'd be putting my name on their preferred sub list.  It was a relief to work somewhere with kind people and feel good about what I was doing :)
It might be a couple weeks before I start getting regular sub jobs since the school year just started but I'm glad I could catch that one and feel good about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment