Monday, June 20, 2011

The Secret Garden

I love to read! Reading is just such a stress reliever and so relaxing.  It takes you to another place and gets your mind off of life for a bit.  Lately I've read some great books that have made me think and inspired me.  The first is "The Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

I had read the book for a children's literature class years ago and remember loving it and thinking it was inspiring.  Classic novels are free on the Kindle so I decided to read it again and refresh my memory on why it was so great.  Here are some of my favorite passages:
"Much more surprising things can happen to any one who, when a disagreeable or discouraged thought comes into his mind, just has the sense to remember in time and push it out by putting in an agreeable determinedly courageous one.  Two things cannot be in one place.  Where you ten a rose, my lad, a thistle cannot grow."
"Most of his fright and illness was created by himself."
"There's nowt as good for ill folk as laughin' is."
"Dickon says anything will understand if you're friends with it for sure, but you have to be friends for sure."
"Of course there must be lots of Magic in the world, he said wisely one day.  But people don't know what it is like or how to make it.  Perhaps the beginning is just to say nice things are going to happen until you make them happen."
"The Magic works best when you work, yourself"
"One of the new things people began to find out in the last century was that thoughts- just mere thoughts- are as powerful as electric batteries- as good for one as sunlight is, or as bad for one as poison.  To let a sad thought or a bad one get into your mind is as dangerous as letting a scarlet fever germ get into your body.  If you let it stay there after it has got in you may never get over is as long as you live."

1 comment:

  1. I love The Secret Garden! When I was 8 or 9 my family filmed a 're-make' of the movie. We had the script line for line from the movie. I was Collin. It is so embarrassing to watch! I need to read the book though. The soundtrack is so so great!
    -Tess

    ReplyDelete