Sunday, May 8, 2011

Week #4 Student Teaching

Four weeks in a row of a great student teaching experience.  This week I had asked my principal to observe one of my lessons.  He observed me teaching math on Friday mid-morning.  Of course I felt hyper sensitive to everything going on during the lessons. I'm pretty sure about five kids needed to go to the bathroom.  And I had handed out some paper Hershey's bars in ziploc bags to use while we were learning about fractions.  Apparently one of the kids in the back was blowing his up and about to pop it when my cooperating teacher gave him a look. Haha when the principal mentioned it in my post observation we both just laughed.  I would have been so embarrassed if that bag would have popped.  In the post observation he was very complimentary and gave me some great suggestions as well.  He is an awesome principal with some great leadership skills.  I mentioned how much I have enjoyed being a part of the school and would love to become a part of the staff for next year.  He told me that there will be a couple openings next year, one in first grade because the teacher is retiring, and one in third grade because my cooperating teacher and the teacher next door will be team teaching since they are both having babies.  There is a levy that needs to be passed this month.  If the levy doesn't pass there will be a lot less chance that those positions will be open because teachers from other schools might get cut and they get first priority on the open positions in the district.  The positions should be open in mid June.  Which seems to be cutting it close since school starts like the second week of August.  But my principal says he will keep me posted on the positions and will be writing me a letter of recommendation.  I feel like this would be such a perfect position for me.  I love the school, love the team of teachers I work with, and love the students and parents.  So we'll see where things go :)
Thomas found a job this week working at the big hospital in downtown Boise, St. Lukes, as an x-ray tech.  He will start his orientation this Wednesday. 
We had a fun weekend, which started off volunteering at my school's book night.  I need to take pictures of the school's hallways.  They are just amazing, filled with student artwork.  Our third grade hallways was decorated as a barn, as all the third graders had read Charlotte's Web.  One of our students' dads is a performer and he had a puppet show going on during read night the incorporated all of the stories the different grade levels had read.  Students had been bringing in used books for the last couple weeks and at Read Night they had rooms set up and families could buy books for 50 cents each.  My cooperating teacher told me to get whatever books I wanted for my future classroom and say it was for her class so that I got them all for free :) So I got a big bag of books (hopefully I'll be teaching third grade).  Thomas and I helped at the book toss. 
Saturday morning our friends Tess and Ryan picked us up and we drove downtown for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. 


Thomas and I were debating whether to walk or run but ultimately decided to run because it was on my training plan to run a 5K this weekend.  Starting out it was really hard to get moving because there were so many people and tons of walkers. We weaved a lot and then got in a pretty good rythem.  I wanted to keep about a 7:50 pace and was pretty much able to maintain that.  The race wasn't chip timed so my final time was just based on my Garmin. We loved seeing the different shirts with funny references to boobs. 
"Freshly Squeezed Lemons"
"The War on The Rack"
"Walkers for Knockers"
"Save Second Base"
"Jogging for Jugs"
There were these ladies in tutus and riding motorcycles as we ran.  Loved it.
As soon as we got home I started this weeks lesson plans.  Around 4:30pm my university supervisor called me and asked if we wanted some tickets to see "The Secret Garden" at the Nampa Civic Community Center.  How nice is that?  "The Secret Garden" is one of my favorite books so we were totally up for it.  The play started out kind of rough with some bad accents and high notes that weren't quite right but it got better as it moved along.  Mary the main little girl did an AMAZING job.  It was a fun cheap date night.  We especially liked the commentary of the guy behind us, trying to explain the story to his six year old at intermission.  "The book is much much better.  There wasn't all this singing so it wasn't so confusing."  The play is definetly different because all the people who have already died will sometimes pop up wearing red hankerchief and that means they are memories so I could see how it would be confusing to kids.  Also, at the beginning of the play the director came out to make all these announcements and one of the main actresses and they were totally making shout outs to random community members in the audience.  The main actress was said to her daughter "Hi Bella! Be good. Okay?" Um... that's when you know it's a small town. 
Also, in unrelated news... On Friday night Thomas had made dinner and brought it to the living room to eat hot out of the oven.  All of the sudden I hear a crack and look over and see this:
His plate had completely cracked, I'm guessing from the heat and spilled all over the couch.  I'm glad it didn't burn his private area :) We had a good laugh at that.

2 comments:

  1. Wow it sounds like life is going great for you guys in Boise! I am so glad. Student teaching sounds like it's been awesome so far! I'm sure the kids love you. Sounds like you have a great staff to work with as well. yay! Glad Thomas didn't get burned...so unfortunate his plate cracked. keep posting cool stuff..i like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to come see you!! XOOXOX

    ReplyDelete