Friday, April 22, 2011

Long Friday run

Today was my first long run of this training cycle (8 miles).  I really haven't run more than 5 miles since probably August.
Thomas picked me up from work at 4:30 and we headed right over to some trails a couple miles from our apartment.  Right away in the first mile we were thinking "uh-oh!".  The switchbacks and hills were killer.  Luckily to every uphill there is a downhill.  It was great running on dirt and giving our knees and feet a little softer surface.  After about a mile and a half I was really starting to feel loose and the pace seemed to pick up.  The weather was a perfect 55 degrees with just a slight breeze.  I'm convinced 55 degrees is the absolute perfect running weather.  I was expecting to run about a minute slower than race pace (8:50) so about a 9:50 pace, especially with the hills.  We ended up running an average 9:26 pace. 


As soon as we got home we jumped in the hot tub and relaxed a bit. We are loving having a big hot tub to use whenever we please.
I was really impressed with Thomas putting in that long of a distance.  I think the time I took off from running really helped mentally and physically.  The Bob and Jillian workout videos have gotten me used to dealing with "the burn" and working through it.  Also, I think the different workouts have helped somehow.  This training cycle I am incorporating yoga into my off days and I think that will really help with soreness and hip problems which have been a pain to me previously.
Tomorrow I am going to my first hot yoga workout with my friend Tess! I'm so excited (hoping I don't pass out so hydrating a lot today). I love living in a bigger city and having all of these different workout options.

No comments:

Post a Comment