Saturday, September 27, 2014

C.A.T.C.H 5K

This small 5K we participated in at the beginning of September was a successful one.  The race is held to raise money for a program that helps homeless families with children to get into homes and learn how to support themselves and be able to pay rent on their own.  Thomas had actually done a speech presentation in one of his classes at BSU about the program and had met the founder/director.  When our running team, Team Beef, posted about the run we knew we wanted to participate.  Not only were all the proceeds for a good cause but it was a new course that varied from the usual races along the greenbelt here in Boise.  We started at The Village fountains in Meridian and basically did a big loop along the park path till we finished at the bandshell.  I was towards the end of 1/2 marathon training and in that training had predicted what I my 10K and 5K paces would be for speed workout.  I thought a 7:57/mile pace was about right and was training at that speed.  When the race started we went out pretty fast but I figured it was just over three miles so I would hang tough til I couldn't hang anymore.  Thomas and I ran together for the first two miles or so and then he took off with a pack of guys.  After the first half mile I knew I was in front of the other women.  My goal was to keep up my pace and hopefully not let any women pass me.
 photo IMG_3411_zps2f1e10d8.jpg I ended up finishing in 22:18 which is about a 7:10/mile pace! Totally surprised myself and felt like I learned a significant running lesson in that race.  Previously in my running I felt like I should always stick to whatever pace I was "supposed" to be running.  So if during a race I saw that I was running faster than what I thought I should I would slow down in fear of hitting the wall before the end of the race.  I felt like I was successful in this race because I just did what felt good and even when it started to hurt I told myself I could go further. I really believe that the mind gives up long before the body does.

 photo IMG_3398_zps8a951817.jpg I was the first woman and Thomas was the second man (kind of they gave overall ribbons and then top male finisher ribbons and didn't include the overall males so I think he was 5th male).
The swag afterwards was great too.  They had a gourmet cupcake company handing out cupcakes and chic-fil-a handing out chicken sandwiches.  Plus, each particpant received free tickets to the opening game of the Idaho Steelheads hockey team.  photo IMG_3701_zps745b0f14.jpg  photo IMG_3697_zpsa397e800.jpg  photo IMG_3691_zpsfbb57b7d.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment